Cannot See Web Site After Deploy - Connection Reset

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Chase, May 7, 2015.

1. First time deploying a .NET Web Application. Used the Visual Studio 2013 Publish tool. Everything published just fine to my root directory. Database created a-okay. I've verified via FTP that my files are on my server. However, whenever I visit my site in my browser, I get a "connection reset" error no matter what resource or file I try to access, as if there is nothing there. I believe my routing is fine, but I'm still new to this so maybe something's wrong there -- how can I check? Also, do I need to somehow "enable" my web application? I feel like there should be a "start" button somewhere...

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using HTTPS and port 44300 on my local server for testing, and that somehow that doesn't translate well to the Winhost server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Okay, so the HTTPS was the problem. I disabled SSL in my Visual Studio project, redeployed, and everything runs great on HTTP. So my question is: Why wasn't the HTTPS working? Will HTTPS not work until an SSL certificate is installed? Locally, I just get a warning that there's no certificate and I proceed to the site just fine. Will Winhost allow using HTTPS without the certificate?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Correct.

A production server will always reject the https connection if there isn't a certificate match, even though your dev environment may allow it.

ComputerMan and Chase like this.