question regarding DNS Manager

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by Kaihatsusha, May 25, 2012.

1. The one located on Winhost CP

Home >> Domains List>> DNS Manager

Apprently, I have added a CNAME to point at a destination URL. i know it takes like 24 hours to have it working, but I still dont see it take effect for months...

So, if it isnt functional, how come it is still there to be configured?

same thing for MX Records and TXT records.

Thanks!

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

That sounds strange. Are the name servers pointing to us?

3. yes. i simply added a canonical entry, for example.. i want wwww.sitename.com point to www.sitename.com

sure, it can be done by making redirection rules. but shouldn't it be able to identify that thru CNAME entry?

4. OK, i did a little experiment for this one.

I added a new CNAME record. then tried to access it, but the domain name isnt resolved since it is a new CNAME record and might take some time to work.

and then, i tried to access the CNAME record I added months ago. But I was presented with ...
    ==============
    Web Page is Unavailable

We are very sorry.

The web page you are trying to reach is unavailable.

Please contact the Website Administrator.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

=================

so, probably it can find its way, but not point it properly because I expect it should display sub.mydomain.com

Code:
    Domain Name	        Destination	                        TTL	 	 
    wwww.mydomain.com	sub.mydomain.com  	        3600	

I already have added an A record for sub.mydomain.com

any help on this? thanks!

5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Did you use the Subdomain Manager to create the subdomain?

6. yes but, then it is different from a CNAME record, right? it is not even possible to add another record when there is already an A record (created subdomain from subdomain manager).

so, do you think we should add a subdomain record for wwww.mysite.com just to have it work as if a CNAME record is added (so it will work, just like when using www.sitename.com and sitename.com)

7. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yes, it's different from a CNAME record. The Subdomain Manager adds an A record to the DNS and populates the IIS Host Header entry. I'm not exactly sure what is transpiring here.