Telerik Controls

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was told that Telerik controls would be bin deployable, but I've tried this and it doesn't work. What's worse is they won't provide support to solve the problem.

So if you are wanting to use Telerik controls with your site you'll have to figure it all out yourself until the forums get a lot more users who have already figured out the problems.

Bit miffed really, might have to ask for a refund, shame!

2. Ray

Ray

What is the exact problem? Do you have any error messages you can pass along?

3. Hi,

No there are no error messages. The controls display but dropdowns dont drop down, tabs dont tab and menus dont expand.

I forwarded the instructions from Telerik about what I needed to do to use their controls on a shared hosting provider, here they are again ---

All Telerik controls are server controls and have to be installed on the web server in order to function properly. This also means that you will need to create the respective virtual directories and give the proper permissions (ASPNET [IIS5], NEtwork Service [IIS6]) in order to use them on the shared hosting.
    If you have already created the application on your development machine
    1. Copy/upload the compiled application via FTP to the production server, i.e. on the shared hosting. The application should reside in the inetpub/wwwroot folder.
    2. Create a virtual directory for the application folder. Before you do this step, consult with your hosting provider on how this is to be accomplished. If the provider offers thorough instructions, use them instead of the ones below. If you do not have access to the Information Services console, ask your provider to set the application for you. If the provider does not offer instructions, then:
    1. Locate the Internet Information Services console;
    2. Navigate to the application folder;
    3. Find the folder's Properties;
    4. Create a virtual directory;
    5. Remember the application name and click OK.
    3. Give full permissions to the ASPNET user (if you are using IIS5) or to the Network Service account (using IIS6 or IIS7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista/Longhorn) on the application folder. Again, before doing this step, consult with your hosting provider on how this is to be accomplished. If the provider offers thorough instructions, use them instead of the ones below. Otherwise, contact your provider to set the permissions for you.
    4. Run the project.

Problem is I dont seem to be able to do any of this!

4. Ray

Ray

The steps they are referring to when creating a virtual directory is setting the folder as an application folder. This is done by logging into your FTP and creating the folder. Example 'telerik1'. That will be the name of the folder. Upload your telerik application in that folder (telerik1).
    Once you have done that go to your Winhost control panel.

Log in and click on the tab marked 'Sites'. Click on the link that is marked 'Manage'. Should be next to your domain name. This will take you to the Site Info Manager. Go to the icon/button marked 'Application Starting Point' and type the name of the folder you want to turn into an application folder. As an example you would type: /telerik1

This will set the subfolder telerik1 as an application folder. Make sure all the necessary telerik files, should be some sort of .dll files are uploaded to the bin directory under the telerik folder. This is where the telerik application will look to to call on the components and assemblies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thanks, sounds like what ive done, i'll check and get back....

6. I will try out telerik's controls when I get home too.

So far have just done stuff with mcv on your servers

7. I had no problem with deploying the Telerik controls to your servers.

The only thing I had to do was set the application start point.

8. Thanks, I didn't think there would be a problem.

9. Still didn't work for me, I'm going to try a different version of telerik controls.

I've a top level folder and below that is the bin folder with the telerik dll in it.

I've set the app starting point to the top level folder and recycled the app.

Maybe its something else.

What version of telerik controls did you use?

10. Had you created the web site as a telerik website, or just dropped the controls onto the form?

11. No, I didnt use a Telerik website template, I just used the radcontrols in the normal fashion in a normal asp.net application.

What way did you do it?

P.S. I'm using 2008 version of the controls, I'm not even sure if there is a website template for these controls.

12. You are likely missing these in your web config then. Possible other things. You might want to right click on the project/solution file and under RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX select Convert to Telerik Web Site. It should get you all the config settings that you are missing at least if it is available in the 2008 version.
    <httpHandlers>
    <add path="ChartImage.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler" verb="*" validate="false"/>
    <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" validate="false"/>
    <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" verb="*" validate="false"/>
    <add path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadProgressHandler" verb="*" validate="false"/>
    <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" validate="false"/>
    </httpHandlers>

I am not certain if these are the correct ones for your version of the controls. I suspect you need at least the last .axd handler.

13. Hi,

I have these in my web config -

<httpHandlers>
    <remove path="*.asmx" verb="*" />

<add path="*.asmx" verb="*" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"
    validate="false" />

<add path="*_AppService.axd" verb="*" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"
    validate="false" />

<add path="ScriptResource.axd" verb="GET,HEAD" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"
    validate="false" />

<add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
    validate="false" />

<add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    validate="false" />

<add path="ChartImage.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
    validate="false" />

<add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
    validate="false" />

<add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"
    validate="false" />
    </httpHandlers>

If i was missing something it wouldnt work locally and its working fine on my machine.

I'm going to try developing a site with the latest set of telerik controls to see if I can get that working.

14. The latest controls work for me when the page inherits from the RadAjaxPage as its running under medium trust.

Thks for the help so far, I'll update this if I find a solution for the 2008 Q2 controls I'm using

15. Update

Just thought I'd let everyone know that 2008 Q2 controls dont work but 2008 Q3 controls do.

I'd guess that any controls after 2008 Q3 should be ok, looks like a Telerik thing, not a Winhost thing!

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  16. Of course! ;)

Glad you found the problem.