Your config file (config.php) is currently world-writable. We strongly encourage...

Discussion in 'Databases' started by ianmc, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi dudes :)

On my PHPBB I have this message:

Your config file (config.php) is currently world-writable. We strongly encourage you to change the permissions to 640 or at least to 644 (for example: chmod 640 config.php).

:eek:

How would I go about doing that please?

Cheers

ian

2. Those are unix permissions, so even if your FTP program "allows" you to make those permission changes, nothing will happen on the server.

3. Thanks for that answer back in Feb 2012 Hank :) a belated thanks.

Another question though and I'm sure to thank you some time in the future for an answer :)

If I go to install PHPBB again, I would like to install it into a different folder but I do get this message saying that if the fields already exist in the database they will be overwritten!!! eek!

My question is, when installing PHPBB to another folder do we get to choose another prefix for the database tables so that new tables are created?

Thus leaving any previous installations of PHPBB intact?

I am hoping that the installation will stop and ask for a prefix for database tables thus leaving any previous tables intact but is there any way to confirm this before risking the destruction of an already installed and in-use forum?

Thanks and best regards for 2013

ian

4. I'd like to answer my own questions :)

I decided to go ahead with installing another forum.

I had a folder under my domain, within that folder I made a new folder and cunningly called it 'forum' :)

So the entire route to this forum folder was:

/Website2/forum

(i have quite a few websites on mine)

Then when I chose to install PHPBB using the App Installer it asked me where I wanted to put it, I chose the above path, then it warned that everything in that folder would be deleted, that's ok, just made the folder, then I clicked on Install and held my breath..... Then App Installer said 'Installed!' and I thought, oh dear........

But my original forum was fine... turned out the next step is to point a browser at www.MyDomain.com/Website2/forum
    and THEN PhPBB starts to install.

One of the things it wants is a prefix for the database tables
    VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU CHANGE THIS if you are installing a new forum because then it just creates a whole set of new tables with this prefix so I set the prefix to bti_ now all my tables for the new forum begin with bti_ and all the tables still exist for the old forum and they begin with phpbb_

Phew!

I took a chance and luckily it paid off :D

(I did do several different types of backups of my MySQL database first of course)

5. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Great work and thanks for posting back your answer. I'm sure it will answer other people's questions too.

I know for a fact that WordPress will ask for a table prefix. But I wasn't sure about PHPBB. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and post back your findings.

Yes, Its always a good idea to make a backup of your MySQL database (just in case). :D

Another work around would have been to use a different MySQL database for the other forum. But, using different table prefixes should also do the trick.