Why do I need System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting for my WCF service?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by samwhea1, Sep 2, 2013.

1. http://blog.Winhost.com/bin-deploying-your-application/
    http://forum.Winhost.com/threads/co...tem-servicemodel-domainservices-hosting.7576/

I'm trying to deploy a plain ol WCF service and I'm getting "Could not load file or assembly 'System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting".

I do not understand why that .dll is necessary for my service since I am NOT deploying WCF RIA services and I really don't want to reference code I don't need or want.
    My first thought was that I managed to mess something up in my project. So I opened Visual Studio and created a brand new WCF application. I built it and deployed it to Winhost without changing one single letter of code. I get the same error! I don't understand this at all... is the DomainServices dll required by Winhost for some reason? I don't have a problem with copying it to my site I just want to understand why its required.

Thank you!

Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Please respond, thank you.

3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the late response. It's probably not in the Global Assembly Cache. Some libraries are left out because of versioning conflicts, and this allows our customers to deploy the version of the assembly they want/need to use for their application.

4. >> I do not understand why that .dll is necessary for my service since I am NOT deploying WCF RIA services

Thank you - however my question is why do I need the dll at all? As mentioned, I am deploying plain wcf. I'm pretty sure my code does not even know that dll exists so I'm wondering why I'm getting an error. If your server is configured to check for the existence of file I will simply copy it over however that seems unusual.

5. So, what I understand you to say is that the answer to this simple question is that I should switch to another service and that will resolve my issue. Do I misunderstand your (lack of a) reply? Please let me know.
    I guess that is your standard answer to many of your client's questions. It would definitely explain the lack of activity in this forum.

6. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I can't honestly comment on why your application needs it because it would require a review of your application. You might be referencing it in your web.config file, or it may be a dependent assembly of another assembly you are using.