What SMTP server to test asp.net with before domain's moved?

Discussion in 'Email' started by jcrjfjfjf, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Per the topic.

We haven't changed the domain name pointers, though. The site is live on its old host and we're not ready to repoint the domain until we're sure that the version on Winhost is working.

I've been testing the Winhost version by going to its IP address, and that works fine except when it comes to email.

With email sends from asp.net, I set the SMTP server to the Winhost site's IP address, and that fails due to no response from the SMTP server. The credentials are passed in correctly with "[email protected]" as the username, and the correct password.

So I assume that the SMTP server we should be using is not at the same IP as the site itself, which probably makes sense.

But what should it be?

Even if I end up using "mail.xxxxx.com" as the SMTP server in the send, won't that just use the MX record under the domain name? So we'll still need to know the IP address of the SMTP server.

How do I find that out?

Or does this not work the way I think it works?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. I'm afraid that you can't test authenticated SMTP email sending until the domain points to us.

Having a method available to send via SMTP without authentication would defeat the purpose of authentication.

3. I understand, but I am passing authentication credentials, username and password.

What will change if we point the domain to the Winhost nameservers? And what do we do with the MX record, if anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Check the MX record in the DNS Manager section of the Control Panel. You should be able to use the domain name listed under Mail Server before moving your domain. It should be in the format of mXX.internetmailserver.net

5. Fantastic!

That's exactly what I was looking for. It worked perfectly on the first try.

Before we put this live, I'll reset the server to mail.whatever.com, but now I can test stuff.

Thanks.

6. Never mind me.

7. I used this setting :-

msg.Host = "xxx.internetmailserver.net"

yesterday and at 09.00 GMT this morning it worked fine.

At 11.00 GMT I get the error message

550 <[email protected]> No such user here

/mailer/sendmail.asp, line 151

I changed nothing in the script I promise.
    If I substitute my private SMTP host and provide credentials all is well.
    Can someone help please?

David

8. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Double check the password of the email account you are authenticating with is correct. Double check your domain name is not expired. Make sure that the email address you're sending to exists.

Those are the few things that could cause this error:

550 <[email protected]> No such user here