What IP to redirect to for domain redirect?

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by GScom, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have a few domain redirects set up for my domains but am doing a demo for a client and he wants to point his domain to my site to see if it'll work.

I have the redirect set up on my side...but the IP listed as my Site Address in Control Panel goes to an error page saying the site is unavailable (my site is up).

He is hosting the domain himself on a server at his office (for now).

Where should he point the domain? Can I just set up a domain pointer in Control Panel? How does it verify that the domain is mine?

Thanks,

Shaw

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Yes, you will need to create a domain pointer for your hosting account. This will create the host header on the web server.

Please read our knowledge base article Details on domain pointer service

By simply pointing the site to the web server's IP will not work. You will need to create the host header on the server first. This is because the web server's IP is a shared IP address. In order to create the host header you will need to create the domain pointer through the control panel for your hosting account. Then have the domain name point to the server's IP address.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Thanks! I will try this.

I wasn't sure if it worked differently with a domain not hosted by Winhost. The ones in my account work even without a domain pointer.

I have ASP.NET code in my Master page that grabs the request URL and does the redirect if it matches - not sure if that is the proper way.

4. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

I wasn't sure if it worked differently with a domain not hosted by Winhost. The ones in my account work even without a domain pointer.

Most likely it is because you might have a Unique IP for the other site you have hosted somewhere else. (I'm only assuming this). If you don't have a unique IP then you will need to use the domain pointer in order to create the host header on the web server as stated before.

Side note: The only way to get a Unique IP for your sites hosted with us. You will need to add a SSL Certificate. That's the only way. If you would like to add a SSL Certificate to your hosting account please read our knowledge base article on How do to order and install an SSL Certificate

I have ASP.NET code in my Master page that grabs the request URL and does the redirect if it matches - not sure if that is the proper way.

By master page I'm assuming you mean your default ASP.NET page AKA "index.aspx". We also have a redirect sample script that you can use to complete this. I figured you are basically doing the same thing. Read our knowledge base article on How to redirect a subdomain to a subdirectory

The knowledge base article above talks about how to redirect a subdomain to a subdirectory... But you can use the same script to redirect a domain name to a sub directory.

I hope this info helps you :)

5. Yes this is great, thank you!