WebMatrix Problems

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by MOC2103, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I have uploaded a new site to my account that was built using Microsoft WebMatrix and uses a SQL Server Compact Edition database. However, I cannot get the site to work and so far the support team have been unable to resolve the problem.

I now receive an application error when I goto the URL for my site that says the Role Manager is not enabled. However, when I investigate this it appears that this relates to when a full SQL Server db is used.

Has anybody been able to successfuly get a WebMatrix site running on Winhost that uses a SQL Server Compact Edition db? If so, are you able to offer any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

How did you upload the site to the server? You stated you made the application using webmatrix. Did you use webmatrix to upload the files or did you use some other type of program such as Visual Studio, or even an FTP client such as FileZilla?

3. Go read jamesbond's "SQL Compact 4.0" issues. I think he has worked it out.

4. You can not directly export a SQL Server Express Edition database with roles and membership to Winhost.

SQL Server Express Edition supports a file-only database mode that allows you to copy the database file directly to a target server and run the application if it is running SQL Server Express. Complicating this, when you run WAT it will automatically create a ASPNETDB file in the App_Data folder and put all of your security settings in there.

But, you are not faint of heart and you are no doubt interested in the real thing, I mean why have security in the first place. Therefore, you need to have a SQL database on your computer and run aspnet_regsql to configure the security. Then there are some major changes that need to be made to your web.config file.

You can read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x28wfk74.aspx (just to get started).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015