Web Site Admin Tool. Where is it?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by serg, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Website developed in VS2010. From VS2010 I could run Web Site Admin Tool, and manage users and roles.

Client doesn't have VS or any other dev tools. How he's gonna add/edit new users? Client has access to Winhost Site Tools. But I cannot find there any ASP.NET config tool.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

ASP.NET config tool only comes with Microsoft Visual Studio. I'm afraid that is by design with Microsoft.

3. Hmm... Any other options to edit users without buying VS?
    Is it easy to do it directly in SQL Server?
    VS Express?

4. Ray

Ray

You can always code for it. But it can get pretty complicated.

5. Ray

Ray

The can also download and install visual web developer 2010 for free from Microsoft's website. This will have the "ASPNet Config Tool". But if the customer is kind of new to the Internet then using this tool can be complicated. Also this is by design by Microsoft but the ASPNet Config tool only is activated when it is opening the website locally. If you try to do a remote connection to our web server using VWD Express the ASPNet Config Tool will not appear. They will need to download the site to their personal computer. Make sure the web.config file is setup to connect to our SQL Server then use the ASPNet Config tool to manage the users and roles and providers. As you can see it is complicated for a newbie. So the best option for a newbie is to create a web application that can do it for them. So you create a forms page where they need to log in. Once they log in as administrator setup them up a page where they can manage users. Most CMS web applications already has this. But if you build the site from scratch then you will need to make it yourself.

6. Is it restriction of VWD Express?
    Because I'm using VS for remote connection for this purpose without a problem.

7. Ray

Ray

No, you are looking at it wrong. This goes for Visual Studio 2010 also. Do this.

Close Visual Studio. Then open it. Go to File/Open/Web Site...

Choose FTP and input the credentials to your Winhost account. Its the same information as your FTP account. Once connected try to look for the ASPNet Configuration Tool. You will find that it is not there. Now, close that and turn off Visual Studio. Then open Visual Studio again and go to File/Open/Web Site... and this time choose File System. Navigate to a web page on your computer. Go to Website and you will see the ASP.Net Configuration Tool. This is how Microsoft designed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  8. OK. Why use FTP account if I can connect directly to the website. In this case I can see ASP Config Tool and edit users. Alternatively I can connect in VS through source code.

9. Ray

Ray

I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you upload your site to our server FTP is the only way you can connect to your root folder on our web server and manage your site remotely.