Web Deploy to Subdomain

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Drakton, Aug 13, 2012.

1. I see that it is possible to use the Web Deploy (DAV) feature of Visual Studio to deploy my web site to my domain. Can this also be performed for subdomains on my site? I have successfully configured my subdomain as posted here: http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=8403&highlight=URL+rewrite

An example of my scenario:

1. I have a domain here, www.MyCoolSite.com.
    2. I have a subdomain, niftysubsite.mycoolsite.com.
    3. As described in the link above, I FTP'd to my domain and created a subfolder off the root, called niftysubsite. the subdomain in step 2 points to this subfolder, and I've configured the URL Rewrite as described in the link above.
    4. I would like to use the Web Deploy feature to publish my nifty website from my local machine, to my niftysubsite domain/folder here on Winhost. I don't want it publishing to the main top-level MyCoolSite.com site.

Is that even possible, or will Web Deploy only publish sites to the root web on Winhost? If it is possible, what steps are required? I found the xml configuration download from the Web Deploy [Publishing Information] link on my control panel, but I assume this will only deploy my site to the root domain, and not the subdomain.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Actually, never mind. I'm not going to bother with subdomains, and will look for some other way to get around the IIS7 bloat. Postbacks don't work with URL Rewrite. Everything worked fine before IIS7, and I am very frustrated that apparently it wasn't complicated enough. So IIS7 pretty much solves the "it needs to be complicated" issue.

I don't know why we can't just make web applications/sites and simply use subdomains as we used to before!

:mad::mad::mad: