web.config question

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My site has been hosted by Network Solutions. I just converted my site to .Net 3.5 using .Net's login features. My localhost uses sqlExpress. After moving my new site the login feature don't work, and I contacted NS tech support, and was told that don't help with programming issues, and would not tell me what changes I would need to make to the web.config file (connectionstring), but offered to build my site using their paid development.

I need a hosting company that will assisst me with the connectionstring I need to enter in the ASP.NET web.config file.

2. Ray

Ray

Most shared hosting companies can't support SQL Express because its lack of security and stability. Remember SQL Express was only meant for testing or as a local database. Never as a back end for your production website.

That being said, you may want to look at this example to create your connection string.

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=DBServerName;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=DBName;User ID=DBLogin;Password=DBPassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

Obviously I will not know what values to put in the connection string so it is best to talk with your hosting provider about this.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Soon to have Winhost as my hosting provider

I've already gotten more (and quicker) response to my question regarding web.confit and the connectionstring entry. I will be moving my hosting service here!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. You won't regret it. Welcome.