Web.Config for SubDomains using ASP.NET Core Web App

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Jay Shaw, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Hello,

I need help getting a subdomain to work in my domain. Here's what I've done:

1. Using an FTP program, I created two subfolders in my root folder: WebApp1 and WebApp2

2. From the Winhost Control Panel, I created two Subdomain Pointers: WebApp1.MyDomain.Com pointing to subfolder WebApp1 and WebApp2.MyDomain.Com pointing to subfolder WebApp2

3. Using VS2019Pro I created an ASP.NET Core Web Application, called WebApp1, and successfully used Web Deploy to upload it to the WebApp1 subfolder.

4. Using a text editor and FTP program I created a simple index.html page and put it in the WebApp2 subfolder.

5. In the root of mydomain.com I made a Web.Config file that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <rewrite>
    <rules>

<rule name="webapp1.mydomain.com">
    <match url=".*" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^webapp1.mydomain.com$" />
    <add input="{PATH_INFO}" pattern="^/webapp1/" negate="true" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="\webapp1\{R:0}" />
    </rule>

<rule name="webapp2.mydomain.com">
    <match url=".*" />
    <conditions>
    <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="^webapp2.mydomain.com$" />
    <add input="{PATH_INFO}" pattern="^/webapp2/" negate="true" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="\webapp1\{R:0}" />
    </rule>

</rules>
    </rewrite>
    </system.webServer>
    </configuration>​

Now here's the result:

* Going to http://webapp1.mydomain.com, (ASP.Net project) I get a totally blank screen. No webpage. No error. However, when I go to http://www.mydomain.com/webapp1 it works totally fine. I see the ASP.Net Core App that I wrote and it works exactly as I want it to.

* Meanwhile, going to http://webapp2.mydomain.com, (text editor project) it works flawlessly. So, I know the web.config file is working for a very simple target website, but it's NOT workign when I redirect to the far more complex ASP.Net web application at WebApp1.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with my web.config file?

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions!

Jason

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Does webapp1 use routing? (e.g. MVC, WebApi) That can cause problems.

3. Yes, I believe it must since it's a standard ASP.Net Core Web Application built in Visual Studio 2019 Pro. Basically, just built the project using the template and then deployed it.

I know that inside the WebApp1 subfolder, there is also a wwwroot subfolder. I tried changing my root web.config to point to that, but that doesn't work either.

It's like the web.config takes me to t he e right place, but then WebApp1 doesn't process my request for a webpage and so I get a blank screen.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yeah. I'm not sure why it's not working. But routing (.NET Core/Framework) can cause issues if your routes are not setup correctly. Have you tried looking at Chrome's Developer tools to see if it's generating any errors?