Web Based File Manager

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ssvaidya, Jul 31, 2011.

1. It would be nice to have a web based File Manager to manage the files and folders on the web site.

I recently had to upgrade my CMS software from one release to the next release and the upgrade and deployment process involved several hours of deleting folders on FTP before re-uploading and re-deploying my new release version.

If there was a web based File Manager, I could simply check the folders and content I wanted to delete/wipe out directly without waiting for several thousand delete commands to be sent over FTP. This would be immensely useful when deploying new version of software which are major design/architectural changes rather than minor updates.

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You can upload your own file manager. A bunch of people use gleamtech.com's file manager.

3. file management software

I recommend you to take a look at this file management software. You can set up your own file server for managing and sharing files through web browser. It's like DropBox but self-hosted so that you can keep all your confidential files on your own server. The web based UI looks and feels like Windows 7 Explorer. It offers features that are not possible with a FTP server such as zipping files, downloading multiple files and folders in single download etc. It's also easier to set up and administrate than a FTP server.