w07 download speed really bad right now - continued

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by serializer, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Referring to thread: http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?p=19358 which was closed by moderator.

Hank, I am not trying to start a war here or something. As I said, I am very pleased with your service and fast response. The reason why I am posting a new thread because my original thread was closed.

I am not sure why it was closed and my links where removed.

Well, this seems like the best natural step for anyone. Let say I am experiencing something strange. Then I want to know if it is just me or more users are experiencing the same problem. Everyone would have done that. And if I were you I would really have appreciated other users took the time to test a system for you. Even if the problem may not be located on your servers the tests might have shown something interesting, like a problems are only experienced in a certain country or similar.

I do understand that there may be a zillion factors for something not working but I presented a clear example for you.

I do not know how tight you work with your other support as I got an email late yesterday:

Well, now it is working great! And I am happy for that. But the way it was handled in the forum has left a strange feeling inside me. My intention for posting the problem in the first place was to know if other users experienced the same problem - which I was quite sure of since a lot of my customers got the same result and also make other users aware of that differences can occur. I never expected the forum moderator to solve the problem but I was surprised that the thread was closed as it prevented any testing and feedback. Closing the thread did not prove anything and potentially could hide a serious problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. I understand why you would think closing the thread was counterproductive. But as you can see, admins continued to investigate the problem through your support ticket.

The thread was closed for a couple of reasons; first, because of the number of new, single post users chiming in with results that were the same as yours. That doesn't necessarily reinforce your findings, it kind of makes it look like you are trying to support yourself through questionable methods. It's a forum thing, not a support thing. We do provide a certain level of casual support here in the forum, but as I'm sure you understand, we have to handle things differently here than we would in a support ticket.

The other reason for closing it was that when I tested the download speeds of your .exe on both sites from a remote location the results did not show a discrepancy (I see now that by the time I did that test they had already fixed the issue).

The links were removed because you linked to an executable, and we don't encourage people to download unknown executables for obvious reasons.

As to what was wrong, it was a network interface configuration issue that was only apparent when you attempted to download a large file. That's why it took a bit longer to isolate the problem.

The network is all gigabit connections, but the NIC in that particular web server was configured for 100 Mbit/s. The typical throughput for the server doesn't normally exceed 100 Mbit/s on a sustained level - except when you start to pull a large file along with the rest of the normal server traffic. Which explains why we didn't see other complaints about the server speed. For most typical small file applications the misconfiguration didn't really cause a problem.

So it was not an obvious problem and one that took a bit of diagnosing to find. But you can thank Jose, he stuck with the issue and saw it through. And we thank you for bringing it to our attention.