URL Rewrite/subdomain question

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by david, Aug 16, 2010.

1. maybe this is a dumb question, but do I have to add a sub-domain via Winhost's control panel before any of this will work? Is this affected by using domain pointers? I.e. if my main site is oldsitename.com and I have a pointer called supercoolsitename.com, do I need to add a sub-domain for both or just supercoolsitename.com? I'm trying to add a mobile sub-domain that will be rewritten to /maindirectory/mobile and it doesn't seem to be working...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Yes you do need to setup a subdomain name. Otherwise it will not get directed to the root correctly. The subdomain name attaches itself to the main domain name, so if the subdomain name is for oldsitename.com where it is subdomain.oldsitename.com then you only set it up for that domain name.

3. This is probably a good time to mention that I have created a sub-domain but I'm still getting the generic "Web Page Unavailable" error. The sub-domain pings to the same IP as the main domain. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with creating a sub-domain on one of my pointer domains. Can you check?

m.perfectschedule.com is the sub-domain for the pointer.

4. Ray

Ray

Try adding m.perfectschedule.com as a domain pointer instead. The problem is that m.perfectschedule.com is not listed in the host header. Even if you set the IP address m.perfectschedule.com to the server it will not know what root directory to go to.

5. That did the trick. I removed the sub-domain from the pointer and added a brand new pointer for the sub-domain.

Thanks a lot Ray.

6. Nice, glad you got it sorted out.