Two ASP sites = two basic plans or one max plan?

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by martin0w, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm looking for a host for two classic ASP sites which use excessive but simple, well-optimized scripting.

I have been running one of the sites on another shared host and been informed that it used 10-20% cpu at peak times. This was no problem by that company.

Would this degree of load be a problem to you, and how do you handle any case of a site running out of the CPU limits? I realize that many shared hosting companies allow for 5-7% CPU maximum.

Also, I have no reference to what a reasonable Site Memory Allocation should be, shall I begin with 100MB of a basic plan for each of the two sites, or opt for one shared 200MB plan for both? 100MB certainly sounds like a lot for a simple ASP script, but I've got no idea how much overhead is caused by user session data etc.

Please advise.
    /Martin

2. The following are our application pool limit thresholds for a basic plan. If any of these thresholds are met your application pool will recycle:

* Idle timeout set to 20 minutes.
    * Memory threshold set to 100 MB.
    * CPU limit set to 70% utilization over 300 seconds (5 minutes).

Personally I would go with two separate Basic plan sites for a few reasons:

* Completely separate resources, which is always a plus when managing each individual site.

* Full email service - Only the primary domain on the account will have full email service, additional domains(domain pointers) can only forward to the primary domain so this is something to consider if you require email service for both domains.

* One application may use up more resources than the other and if this results in your application pool recycling or crashing it would affect both sites since they will be hosted in the same application pool.