Transaction log full

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by serializer, Nov 9, 2012.

1. I am experiencing a general problem on all my sites hosted by you. I often seem to get get a Transaction log full error. This results in that my whole database is locked and I cannot do anything.

The reason for getting this is unknown but it seems to various reasons. One reason is that my quota was filled. But it did not help increasing the quota. Only solution is to mail you to clear the transaction log.

The problem with this, for whatever reason this occurs, create a long downtime for me as I am dependent on your support to read and do something.

A workaround would be that you either allow a command in MSSQL that clears the log or that you enable an option in admin interface. It is starting to be a big problem for my sites as I cannot trust that they work properly.

2. You should make a post in our Suggestions section of this forum, if we see sufficient demand for this feature then we will implement a solution.

3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

In addition to making a post to our suggestions forum, you can try spacing out the database queries you are trying to run. The transaction log is automatically truncated about every 3 hours. It can fill up quickly if you are using a lot of insert and update statements. Committing your transactions should also help your log from filling up too quickly. I believe backing up your database through the Control Panel will also truncate the log.