The specified module could not be found

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by hessprin, Sep 23, 2010.

1. i have just deployed a asp.net application. after getting the trust level set to full and setting the application start point, i get the following error. anybody got a clue where to go from here?

Server Error in '/test' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)]
    System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +0
    System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +43
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +127
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +142
    System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +28
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +46

[ConfigurationErrorsException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)]
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +613
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +203
    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +105
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +178
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName) +54
    System.Web.Compilation.ApplicationBuildProvider.GetGlobalAsaxBuildResult(Boolean isPrecompiledApp) +232
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileGlobalAsax() +52
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +337

[HttpException (0x80004005): The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)]
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException() +58
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +512
    System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters) +729

[HttpException (0x80004005): The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +8894031
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +85
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +333

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

2. Ray

Ray

First you need to ask yourself if this module is part of an assembly that can simply be uploaded to the applications Bin folder. If it is, then you need to check if that assembly is loaded to the applications Bin folder.

If it does not meet any of these criteria's you need to ask yourself if this assembly needs to be installed on the server, if it does then tell us what assembly it is and I can check if it is already installed on the server.

3. i am new to this and i am not sure what module it is or what assembly it belongs to. can you tell me how to tell this from the error message i posted?

4. Ray

Ray

Unfortunately you can't. Not through the error message. You may need to acquire the services of a programmer to help you with that. They may need to go through your codes for you.

5. i have an msi file that i have installed on our internal servers to deploy the assemblies. is there any way i can run that on Winhost to deploy what i need?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  6. Ray

Ray

No, I'm afraid not. That will bypass the security we setup on our system, network, and servers, and can compromise the other accounts we host.