Support for .NET Framework 4.6

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chase, Sep 6, 2015.

1. When do you expect support to be added for .NET 4.6? Thanks!

Final Heaven likes this.
  2. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

.NET 4.6 has several very nasty bugs associated with it. We are waiting for all the updates to be available before rolling it out to production.

3. @FredC

I was referred to this post via a ticker I opened today and was wondering if you can offer some more details.

Do you have any reference/documentation as to what "bugs" you might be referring to? If this is truly the case and you indeed have identified a "nasty" bug, being "bugs" these days are fairly track-able within the .NET community and by way of Microsoft themselves, I would love to do such myself in hopes to better understand the situation.

It seems a bit string being that a reputable .NET hosting provider such as yourself has identified a bug in which has been classified as "nasty", yet that bug was not addressed in the follow up release to 4.6.0, 4.6.1. It may be my fault, but at this point I am unable to find any known "bugs" that might fit the bill of this inquiry and for my own edification would love if you could bring some more clarity to that.

Best,

Chad

4. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

i'll let the staff more familiar with the issues reply, but one sign that there are issues is that .NET 4.6 is not in Windows update yet. So it's not "stable" enough for Microsoft to fully make it available to the public.

5. Within the next week or two we will be rolling out a small number of servers running .NET 4.6, so anyone who wants to take advantage of 4.6 will have to migrate to one of those servers. We will not be installing it on the existing production servers.

We'll post here when those servers are available.

6. Sounds great. Thanks for the info!

Best,

Chad

7. @curtis @mich

Just as a follow up, as I am spinning up new servers on my end I am certainly seeing 4.6.1 in the updates cycle.

Best,

Chad

Attached Files:

• 461.jpg
      461.jpg
      File size:
      155.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Is that via WSUS? If it is, then the update will be added during our next update (2/10/16). So far it hasn't been in WSUS, and we haven't heard any word on when it might be.

That being said, we'll be offering it within the next week or so on specific servers.

9. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

It looks like it's finally made it to the optional update list a couple days ago. We're on it.

10. I can confirm that my server is up and running .NET 4.6.1. However, it does not appear to support ASP.NET 5; in the control panel, I can choose "2.0/3.0/3.5 sp1" or "4.x" but no 5. Is ASP.NET 5 not supported yet?

For reference, I am linking the official blog announcement of .NET 4.6 below. Thanks for all your work, WinHost.

http://blog.winhost.com/asp-net-4-6-hosting-available-now/

11. No .NET 5 yet.

As you probably know, .NET 5 is a complete rewrite of the framework. In fact they aren't even calling it .NET 5 anymore, they're calling it ASP.NET Core 1.0.

From our perspective the implementation requires a lot of changes and new approaches, so we have to wait until it's stable before we build production servers around it.

jabarkas and Elshadriel like this.
  12. What about .NET 4.6.2?