Subdomains for Multiple Domain Pointers

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by gabriel93, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have multiple domain pointers and I want to setup a sub domain for a specific one, so I setup the sub domain but it only points to my default domain, how can I get it to work with all or at least one specific domain pointer?

I was hoping it would work like email aliases, is there a setting I am missing?

Regards,

Gabriel

2. Ray

Ray

Let me recap so I fully understand what you are trying to do. You have an account with us with the domain name mydomain.com. You setup a domain pointer to mydomain.com which has the domain name domainpointer.com. You want to setup that domain pointer (domainpointer.com) with its own subdomain name (i.e. sub.domainpointer.com) and you want that to point to a subfolder "subfolder". Therefore when someone types sud.domainpointer.com it will automatically redirect to the "subfolder" and display its own website. Is that correct?

3. Perfect

4. Ray

Ray

First you will go back to the domain pointer manager and also add that subdomain for that domain pointer. (sub.domainpointer.com)
    What that will do is create the header names so that sub.domainpointer.com points to the correct root.

After which you will need to create a redirect script so that it can capture that call to a subdomain name and point it to a subfolder.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a649/how-to-redirect-a-subdomain-to-a-subdirectory.aspx

You will place this redirect script on your startup page within your root (i.e. default.aspx).

Now, there are other methods to do this such as URL Rewrite, but this method is the easiest and straight forward way of doing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thank you so much, the domain pointer step is all i needed, I just set it up but I am assuming it would take a while to setup properly as I still can't access it yet.

6. Ray

Ray

You'll also need to make sure the subdomain name you setup as a domain pointer is pointing to the correct IP address. Try performing a ping test on your end and verify it is pointing to Winhost servers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Thank you it's working perfectly all i had to do was setup another domain pointer for the sub domain.