Subdomain on domain pointer

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by Gab71, Dec 5, 2013.

1. I add subdomain.1stdomain.com in DNS, configure a rule on web.config to rewrite url as \subfolder\{R:0} and set application starting point on it. It works correctly.

Then I add a domain pointer 2nddomain.com. I would to set a subdomain.2nddomain.com pointing on the same subfolder.

I tried to add A record on DNS subdomain.2nddomain.com on same IPAddress of 1stdomain.com and replicate rule on web.config, but it doesn't work: I receive "Web Page is Unavailable".

I also tried to add CNAME record on DNS : subdomain.2nddomain.com on subdomain.1stdomain.com, but it doesn't work.

What else I have to check or configure?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Are the name servers for the second domain pointed to Winhost or the DNS A record for subdomain.2nddomain.com pointed to the IP address of the web server?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. The name servers for 2nddomain.com are setted by the Registrar on ns1/ns2/ns3.Winhost.com .
    So DNS A or CNAME records are configured as above on Winhost DNS servers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Could you message me your domain name so that I can check your DNS configuration? Everything seems to be correct.

5. As suggested by Winhost Staff, it's necessary to add the complete subdomain.2nddomain.com as domain pointer.
    (It isn't enough to add 2nddomain.com, without third level).

It is possible to do it even if the domain pointer has mask: "www. _ _ _ _ _ " : insert in blank space "www. subdomain.2nddomain.com" and it will work.

So, both configurations (DNS A record or CNAME record) now work perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
    Michael and Elshadriel like this.
  6. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Glad everything is working now. :)