sub domain setup is NOT so simple

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Imprimis, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hello,

The steps required to host a sub domain with 'correct' url's are NOT clear and there are MANY posts describing several different methods; none of which address the issues at hand.

Here is the scenario:

Root site is www.cmkproductions.com

In the root I have a folder called blog and I want it to be a sub domain so that users can reach it at blog.cmkproductions.com

No problem... following the instructions in your KB gets part of the solution; I can programatically redirect as necessary.

The PROBLEM is the URL.

EVERY solution posted so far results in url's looking like:

blog.cmkproductions.com/blog/whatever.aspx

I don't want the extraneous folder name in there.

blog.cmkproductions.com/whatever.aspx

is how it SHOULD be.

(using the URL re-writer solutions posted only removes the redundant /blog on the application start page. clicking any link injects the redundant /blog again)

Is this not possible?

If it IS possible, I would like step by step instructions on how to make it work. Using the KB article and the URL rewriting article does NOT produce the desired result. All that accomplishes is folder redirection and it does create user confusion...

Imagine:

forum.cmkproductions.com/forum/index.aspx
    images.cmkproductions.com/images/album1/blah.jpg

should be:

forum.cmkproductions.com/index.aspx
    images.cmkproductions.com/album1/blah.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

2. Bump

I know this is a very old thread, but it remains unanswered and expresses exactly the questions I would like answers to.

3. ...

You'll get the same response Winhost provides to everyone:

I've asked here and via support tickets for a *working* example for the scheme I proposed earlier in this very thread. The answer is always you'll need to have a programmer do it for you, Winhost does not do programming.

The thing is, I am a programmer. I use the IIS rewrite module every day and I know it very well. The fact is that *nobody* hosted on Winhost is able to do such a simple task hints at the real problem...

Searching the forums and KB reveals that nobody gets this to work and settles for the domain.com/subdomain folder nonsense.

Winhost is cheap hosting. To stay cheap, things like this are going to be a problem. Use Winhost for a cheap prototype playground and roll out to a more robust provider when you are ready.

Oh... and Winhost staff... Want me to sing your praises? Show me a working example that provides the functionality described above.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. subdomain handling

the way it works here is that, you have to add a subdomain (though I would prefer a cname)... then have it programatically check the subdomain and redirect it to proper page..

5. I'm running into exactly this issue now with an installation of BlogEngine. I'm really not a stupid person, but this is driving me insane.

6. And finally...

I got it *almost* sorted...

To be able to use BlogEngine and possibly other equivalents on Winhost (and other shared hosts), you need to use a wonderful little utility called PathUnwriter.

Check out the following thread:

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/discussions/239301/

Then have a read of this PDF : http://ict20.net/PathUnwriter-HowTo.pdf

Then check this out: http://blog.jaredreisinger.com/post/2009/11/22/Hosting-Utilities-PathUnwriter.aspx

The key things for me were to ensure the

Enable HTTP Compression
    Compress WebResource.axd
    Trim Stylesheets

are all *unchecked* in the Advanced Settings in BlogEngine.

This means you should ideally do those things before you start adding the PathUnwriter. Also, you need to ensure the additions into <Modules> and <HttpModules> are placed correctly. I think the main one was to place the <httpModules> entry below existing modules but *above* the <remove> entries.

The only thing left to try and work out is why my archive entries insist on placing the folder/path name in their URLs, everything else seems fine thus far.

Hope this helps other people trying to get the same thing working in a subdomain.

<edit> I also think this thread / post should be placed in the 'Programming' forum too - not sure if people would look in the domains / dns forum.

7. Thanks Wig, I think that will be helpful information for people running into the same issue.

And thanks for the "and other shared hosts" qualification. I think a lot of people don't understand that we all face certain limitations when it comes to providing a shared environment, and those limitations can unfortunately be a pain when you're trying to use certain applications.

8. No dramas.

I should have also clarified that it's not to get BlogEngine working, it's to get BlogEngine working in a subfolder.

And you're right, it's the same on any number of hosts and is a function of BlogEngine, not the rewrite and not Winhost.