Sub Domain help

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by Cralis, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I have a www.mydomain.com domain, and it hosts an ASP.Net site. I have a web service, and I would really like to use a sub domain to host my services. Is it possible to create a 'services.mydomain.com' sub domain, and have that point to a specific ftp folder? At the moment, my main domain is serviced by files in the root of my ftp account.

Can I not create a /services/ folder, and then make that be the folder that the root of services.mydomain.com points to?

2. rum

rum Winhost Staff

You can create /service subfolder on your site and convert it to web application starting point in your Winhost control panel following the instructions in this article. Then you can host your web application / service in this folder. You can then create services.mydomain.com subdomain in the subdomain manager section of your Winhost control panel and then redirect or rewrite this subdomain to subfolder.

Try referring to this article as an example guide on how to setup a redirect script and this forum thread on how to user URL Rewrite module.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. By web services, I'm assuming you mean something like Web Api 2? I'm working on a site that I plan to implement the main site as plain HTML with AngularJS/BreezeJS and then implement the services with another Web API 2 application with CORS enabled. If I install the main app at the root and the Web API 2 app in a sub folder called api/ with a sub-domain assigned to point to that sub folder using the URL Rewrite module, do you foresee any issues with the overall architecture?

Thanks in advance