Still showing "Site is Under Construction" after Nop Commerce site deployed

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Lori, Apr 17, 2016.

  1. I am an application developer new to website development. I just completed publishing a Nop Commerce website but I am still seeing "Site is Under Construction". I've no doubt done something stupid, but I have no idea what...

    I published Nop.Web (Nop Commerce v3.70) from Visual Studio Premium 2013 via FTP to site path wwwroot and destination URL (This is our secondary URL, I wanted to test it first before using the primary URL. Perhaps that was a bad decision? I also don't now if I should have specified wwwroot as the site path?)

    I have a SQL 2012 database successfully uploaded as well, and the settings.txt file should be pointing to it. I have verified that the code and database are where I think they should be.

    So do I need to do some configuration using IIS to get this to work? I am not sure of where to go from here. I tried looking through a number of forum entries and I've done Google research, but nothing I've found yet seems to work.
  2. Elshadriel

    Elshadriel Winhost Staff

    Hi Lori,

    I checked your site, and you need to do at least 2 things:

    1) Move the site up one file level. (i.e. from wwwroot to the actual root)
    2. Enter the actual password to your database in your settings.txt file. You entered a mask (i.e. ******).
  3. OK, I've moved all the files and directories out of wwwroot to the main level, and added a file named settings.txt under App_Data with the password. I also deleted the wwwroot starting point I had defined.

    Now when I tried to access in the Windows 10 Edge browser I got this message:
    "We're sorry, an internal error occurred.

    Our supporting staff has been notified of this error and will address the issue shortly.

    We apologize for the inconvenience.

    Please try clicking your browsers 'back' button or try reloading the home page.

    If you continue to receive this message, please try again in a little while.

    Thank you for your patience.

    Tried again and got the "Site Under Construction" message.

    Tried and got
    "Web Page is Unavailable
    We are very sorry.

    The web page you are trying to reach is unavailable.

    Please contact the Website Administrator.

    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  4. ComputerMan

    ComputerMan Winhost Staff

    You can't use www. in your secondary URL. That A record doesn't exist on our system.

    Also, the error you're getting here: is a custom error. Turn custom error mode to Off in your web.config file to get the real error message.
  5. Well, when accessing I technically wasn't getting an error message, I was getting the "Site Under Construction" message. Nevertheless, I made the change to web.config, setting customErrors Mode="Off".

    Anyway, now I am seeing "No database instance". I thought I had the db set up correctly. I must still be doing something wrong. I basically copied the connection string to my database from the WinHost site, substituting our db password which I just used to successfully log into the named server and database.

    Do you know, with NopCommerce, is it a mistake to start with the database already existing and containing data? Should I have started first with an empty straightshtr database, allowed Nop Commerce to "create it" and THEN restored my existing SQL .bak file over it?
  6. Duh, I guess I hadn't copied the connection string, I found that the user ID was missing. Now I am getting a security related error "Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file. " This is more than I have time to research right now, I will return to this again this evening and see what I can figure out. Thank you for all your help so far.
  7. Last bit that allowed me to resolve this was to set the site at full trust in the web.config file. Once that was set, I was able to see the site - hooray! Thanks Winhost team for a positive experience - you have all been very helpful.
    ComputerMan, Elshadriel and Michael like this.
  8. Glad you got it worked out.

Share This Page