Startup Issues

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by cme0015, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Hi all, just a couple(I hope) quick questions.

1) Why do I see different content when navigating to cmetools.com (my registered domain) versus my secondary web URL?

2) Why do I get the below error when visiting the secondary URL?
    I have a connection string for the LocalSqlServer setup in IIS.

2. Ray

Ray

1. Your domain name "cmetools.com" is not pointing to our DNS servers.

Registration Service Provided By: Enom, Inc
    Visit: www.enom.com

Name Servers:
    ns1.edgewebhosting.net
    ns2.edgewebhosting.net

Creation date: 19 Feb 2010 02:19:17
    Expiration date: 19 Feb 2012 02:19:00

When I ping your domain name it is not resolving to our web servers.

C:\>ping cmetools.com

Pinging cmetools.com [69.63.131.83] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 69.63.131.83:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>ping www.cmetools.com

Pinging www.cmetools.com [69.63.131.83] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 69.63.131.83:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I suggest you contact the registrar of your domain name and have them update the name servers to point to Winhost.

ns1.Winhost.com
    ns2.Winhost.com
    ns3.Winhost.com

2. Try looking at this kb article concerning the error you are seeing with "localsqlserver" on your website.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a813/parser-error-message-connection-name-localsqlserver.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Sorry, I am confused. Why does this site not show as being registered by Winhost? This is the domain I elected to create during account setup.

4. Ray

Ray

You are confusing web hosting with domain name registration. These are two different things. Although you signed up with a web service account with us, you will still need to contact your registrar which is the company that registered your domain name and tell them to point the DNS servers to us.

5. Follow up

So then just to confirm...I did not pay for you guys to register this domain during setup?

6. Ray

Ray

That is correct.

7. Understood and thanks for the help thus far. So then is the best course of action to simply order a new domain via the Control Panel and at that time I can point my Winhost site to that www address?

8. Ray

Ray

Well, no not really. If the domain name is already registered then you can simply order it. Remember, registering a domain name protects it from someone else stealing it. The best option is to contact the registrar of that domain name or your old hosting provider and tell them you would like it to point to a different DNS server. If you paid for the domain name technically it is yours and they should release it.
    If what you are looking to do is move the domain name to us where the web hosting and domain name registration is under one Winhost invoice I'm afraid we cannot do that. We are only a reseller of domain names, not an actual registrar.

9. I get the impression that our friend cme0015 does not own cmetools.com (it was registered a year ago) and needs to register a different domain name.

If that's the case, you can order a domain here: https://cp.Winhost.com/domains/register.aspx

If that's not the case, then just tell me to go jump in the lake.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  10. Nope, no lake jumping req'd. I must have been suffering from hallucinations or something during setup. Suffice to say I will be registering a domain with u guys shortly, and then probably bugging u for more help. Thanks guys!!

11. So registered a new domain with Winhost, how do i get it to point to my site?

12. Ray

Ray

13. ok, think I can handle that, but how do i get rid of the cmetools.com domain? If i use the pointer with my current setup, does that mean I cannot do subdomains?

14. Ray

Ray

Unfortunately once the site account has been complete created by our system the primary domain name associated to it cannot be modified or altered. You will have to cancel the account with the wrong domain name and sign up for a new account with a correct domain name.

15. I wasn't too far into setup of the site, so that isn't a huge deal. Will I be credited back for unused time?

16. rum

rum Winhost Staff

If your site is under 30-days trial period, you will get full refund upon cancellation.

17. Yeah, you don't want to use the newly registered domain as a pointer, it would be better to set up a new site using the newly registered domain. Just download whatever you've done on the old site and upload it to the new site. Aside from a configuration here and there, that should work.