SQLEXPRESS and website

Discussion in 'Databases' started by equiton, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hi,

I've just begun to get my website sorted, and have run into a problem. I've got a SQLExpress ASPNETDB.MDF database in the App_Data folder of my VS 2008 (Express version). THis is for membership/role data

THis all works fine locally. What I need to do is make this work when uploaded.

I've tried the knowbase info: How to configure the ASP.NET Membership/Roles Provider

but I still get this error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Does anyone have any pointers to help me in this?

thanks

Mark

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

We don't support sql express on our webservers. You can use SQL CE4 or the full SQL database instead.

3. Could you point me to a tutorial as to getting started with a SQL server DB and using it with ASP.NET.

I am very new to DB development, especially moving between desktop development and upload development.

I need a solution that will work with my resources - VS 2008 Express Web Developer.

thanks

4. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015