SQL Server Reporting Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Quizzical, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi, love the hosting services that you provide, but I'd really like to see the ability to render reports. A large part of any business solution is to provide data and analysis by the way of well thought out and designed reports.

SQL Server provides (at no cost) an option to support user designed reports through "SQL Server Reporting Services". This in turn can be used by asp.net developers like myself using the Report Viewer Controls to design reports and embed them in our web apps. We need to point these reports at the installed Report Server being the URL of the Reporting Services Web service. There is a great article on this to be found at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/magazine/cc188712.aspx

I hope your able to accommodate this request in the near future as it would round out your set of hosting services and features nicely.
    regards
    Quizzical

2. rum

rum Winhost Staff

The ReportViewer versions 9 and 10 are installed on our servers. To use this control embedded in your web application, you do not have to use SSRS. You can render the reports in local mode and use any data source for it. We are considering offering SSRS in the near future, although we cannot provide you with any approximate time when this will be offered.

3. I am also interested in potential support for SQL Server Reporting Services.

4. I am also interested in potential support for SQL Server Reporting Services.

There was a post stating that if there is enough demand, Winhost will consider offering SSRS, so would you please run a mailer or a survey to all your current subscribers if they actually need it, but they gave up on you, as I see that the demand has been there since 2009 ! in previous posts on this forum.

I have been satisfied with your services, but I have to admit that I was dissapointed to find out that the SSRS service is not offered. It is my mistake that I did not verify that from the beginning, however, it was a surprise that a standard feature in SQL Server Standard Edition, is not available.

Appreciate your kind re-consideration.

Thank You and please keep up the good work you are doing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. SSRS availability

One of the biggest drawbacks to using your service is the lack of SSRS as a feature. As time goes on, more of your competitors are adopting this feature. I need to figure out if I am at the point where I need to make a switch. Can you tell us if this has already been ruled out as a future enhancement?

6. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

nothing is ruled out but ssrs is just not a priority for us with the low demand.