SQL compact on web server?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Hoosierdaddy, May 27, 2013.

1. Hey folks. I had asked about SQL express and getting to it with VB but I realize now that it's not SQL express but SQL compact that comes with my website at Winhost since I'm using Webmatrix.

What I'd like to do is allow my customer to get at the database which is obviously on the host server to update, etc, but I want to use Visual Basic and install a Windows Front end for her. I could of course use Web pages, but I'd rather try to use VB for experience, etc, and she's more comfortable with Windows programs than Web. The database already is being queried to generate data in webpages and works great on the site.

Is it possible to upgrade SQL compact to the SQL server provided by Winhost? I love this hosting by the way. Great service and everything just works so good.
    Thanks so much..
    Tim

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

3. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I'll check out the links...
    Regards
    Tim

4. I was able to find a Compact Toolbox on Codeplex and download the same and I was able to script the database and data. The file ends up being a filename.sqlce file. Can that be used to script the database on my SQL server at Winhost? I mean I want to use the full blown version of SQL included with my account? I thought SQL scripts just ended with SQL? I guess I just want to upgrade the compact sql db to the full version of sql on my account. Hope that makes sense.. Any help would be appreciated..

Since I now have the SQL script file. Can I ftp it to my account, the log in to the SQL manager in the control panel and use the "Restore" function to design and populate the database? I didn't want to try until I know it should work or I hear from one of the folks here that run the place. I didn't want to bring down SQL server with my stupidity.. LOL.. Thanks so much.. Tim

5. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

No, you would have to use SQL Server Management Studio to restore the database if it's a script file. There are some guidelines in this forum post on how it's done:

http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=58&highlight=scripting+database

It's easier if you know some T-SQL, but basically if you have CREATE DATABASE command, you would replace it with ALTER DATABASE, and anywhere where it contains the database name, you replace it with your database name at Winhost.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  6. Thank you so much. I think I'll just create it myself manuall and make it easier. I know just enough T SQL to be dangerous.. LOL

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Very cool you dangerous person! ;)