Spontaneous Logouts

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Nightfly, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hello - I'm having a problem where users are randomly "logged out" for no apparent reason. They are able to log in, make updates or changes where needed - and then, sometimes, are simply "kicked out" of my site. The log outs come without warning, are random, there seems to be no pattern. I'm using ASPNET membership. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. I'm having this exact same issue. I even switched from InProc session state to SQL Session state thinking I was overloading it somehow and getting my app pool recycled. Any reason this is happening?

3. Your app pool can recycle due to memory or CPU use in excess of the quotas for your site. The memory limit is different depending which plan your site uses. CPU usage is 70% for 5 minutes. That will recycle your app pool.

4. Also having same issue

I'm also having the same issue, I switched from InProc to SQL and was told that even if the app pool was recycled that if you used SQL sessions the session wouldn't be dropped. I understand this isn't the case for a timeout for inactivity, which is what my log is showing even though my user wasn't even logged in for 20 minutes when they got booted out. Is there anything I can look for that would cause it to log as an inactivity when it's actually not the case?

5. did you resolved it

I have exactly the same problem (MVC3 with membership), did you resolved it?

6. Ive got exact same problem.

If user just login, and leave everything as it is after login, he wont be disconected for 50 min.

but if user creates a folder o ftp, user will get logged out in 3 min or so.

Any Solution? or do i need to change HostPlace?

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

This seems like you are losing your sessions when the application pool is recycled.

Our server will recycle your application pool automatically if you reach one of the conditions mentioned below.

We host each website in its unique application pool/process. To ensure server stability we recycle the application if any of the following conditions are met:

1) More than 20 minutes of idle time (no HTTP request in 20 minutes)
    2) The application uses more than 100 MB of memory for the Basic plan and 200 MB of memory for the Max and 300 MB of memory for the Ultimate plan.
    3) The application uses more than 70% of CPU resources for more than 5 minutes

This means that you need to enable SQL Server sessions in order to keep your session from getting lost.

Read our knowledge base article on How to enable ASP.NET SQL Server Session on your web application

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  8. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  9. do we be able to use sql server session in basic plan ?
    because we only have 1 db in basic plan.

cant afford to upgrade to higher plan due to limitation in our non profit organization bussiness.

please advise, tks

10. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

11. says :
    •While not required, we recommend adding a new MS SQL database in the Site Tools section of Control Panel, dedicated for sessions storage only, to avoid potential conflicts (Winhost Basic customers will have to upgrade to Winhost Max to add a second database)
    -----------------
    means : we still can do sql session with 1 DB ?
    tks

12. latest update :
    1. submitted the ticket to configured sql session
    (current plan : basic plan = 1 DB)
    2. got email reply, configuration done
    3.set the code in web.config as instructed
    4. uploaded all codes, wait around 30 mnt
    5. test : all done : SESSION NOT LOST anymore (at this stage ;-)

conclusion :
    yes, it can be done with basic plan.

confliction :
    not occur yet :) hopefully not.