Spam,spam,spam,spam,spamety-spam,wonderful spam...

Discussion in 'Email' started by AgingHippie, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I'm engaged in an arms race with the spammers trying to use my content filtering to block their endless credit score, medicare gap insurance, and other garbage emails - over a hundred a day.

I've had no luck at all with the spam filtering settings in smartermail; they snag less than half the spam, and more than half the legitimate emails, no matter what weights I assign.

Does anyone have any suggestions for spam filtering settings or content filtering rules in smartermail that will catch more spam and intercept less legitimate email?

2. Greylisting should stop the majority of the spam. Have you disabled it?

Other than that, the spam filters available in SmarterMail are so infinitely adjustable that there isn't really a one-size-fits-most configuration that we can recommend. I understand that it's difficult to adjust those filters, but the more flexible something is, the more complex it is. I'm sure there's a law of mathematics or physics that describes that. But unfortunately, that's the state of the art as far as spam filtering is concerned.

But greylisting is really the most effective things we've found to prevent spam.

---

Anyway, you call that an arms race? This is an arms race:

[​IMG]

;)

That's a domain I've had for about 15 years, and that is the "catchall," so everything in there is mail that was sent to addresses I never used or set up. More than 4,600 messages every day.

"Stopping spam" is not something that anyone will ever completely do. That's Gmail pictured above, and you'd think with the volume of email they handle they would have a pretty good take on what is spam and what isn't. But as you can see, there are more than 17,000 messages in the inbox, and they are all spam.

At one point a couple of years ago I was receiving a million spam messages a month on that domain.

Whatever we do, they are going to find a way to get through.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Greylisting is on for the domain, but it doesn't stop it. Spam ratio (number of spam per wanted email) is now about 200. About 10% of the spam gets through, while the filtering catches about half the wanted emails. Not so good.

Apparently SpamCop is the worst of the worst when it comes to RBL providers, according to the buzz.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell smartermail to mark everything as spam unless it comes from a trusted sender? Or, is there anything we're allowed to install to stop this crap?

Normally, I'm opposed to capital punishment, but I think in the case of spammers we can make an exception.

4. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thanks for the info. What I've done temporarily is mark all the emails that are from trusted senders, and made Outlook move everything else. The problem there is because it's client based, I still can't use my smartphone. I need a solution that's 100% server-based, so it doesn't matter what client I use. Too bad smartermail doesn't have the ability to do any content filtering based on "not" some condition.