SMTP Account required? Failure sending mail using SMTPClient

Discussion in 'Email' started by OCCARL, Apr 14, 2011.

1. I noticed in SmarterMail Advanced Settings a node for SMTP Accounts. None are listed.

I'm getting "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 64.79.170.147:25"

I am sending credentials as recommended in other threads. Here is my code:
    SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient("mail.allstarsoftware.info");
    smtp.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential
    ("[email protected]", "correctpw");
    smtp.Send(msg);

Should I open a ticket, because it seems to be going to a host, the correct one? but that host isn't processing for some reason. I've triple checked my credentials.
    Thank you for your help.

2. Ray

Ray

The setting you are referring to allows you to use another email server to send out email. You do not need to use our SMTP server to send out email.

What you are experiencing and the error you are getting means totally something else. You posted a code to send out email. Where exactly is the web page residing at? Is it on our web server, or is it on your testing computer?

3. OOPS, the code was actually executing on my test computer. I will give it a try actually executing on the Winhost server. I suspect that will fix the problem.

The page is a volunteer application form. Since it will be used infrequently, my intent is to send an email to the volunteer coordinator when someone actually fills it out.

My guess is, even with authentication, one can not use the Winhost SMTP from "outside" the Winhost domain. Thus it would not connect to what was an "outside" request from my computer.

4. Ray

Ray

You should be able to use our smtp server even if you are out of our network. One thing to look for is if your network is blocking the smtp port 25.