Simple multi-instance structure

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by MikeDelp, Apr 30, 2013.

1. I have subscribed the Max plan and I have an ASP.NET application that I would like to deploy in more than one instance using the same account.

I don't need multiple domains nor URL rewrite.
    Let's say that my domain is mywebapp.com. What I want to accomplish is:

www.mywebapp.com/production
    www.mywebapp.com/test
    www.mywebapp.com/demo

Each of them would be a separate instance (that is a phisically separated copy) of the same application, with phisically separated DB's. In my understanding, to make this work I should:
    - create three subdirectories of my website root directory, named respectively production, test and demo;
    - create three application starting points, one per each of the subdirectories;
    - deploy my application files in each of the subdirectories;
    - create three SQL Server databases and configure each application instance's connection string to one of them.

Am I right in this?
    Furthermore, I would like to maintain just one membership database; so, would it be possible to manage the same ASPNETDB.MDF for all of the three instances? I think that the three application instances would have the same "LocalSqlServer" connection string, but not sure this would be correct.

Please anyone can give me the feedback I need?
    Thanks in advance

p.s.: I know that there is a thread very similar to this (I read it and did not save the link), but I have searched all over the forum and couldn't find it anymore.

2. Tabitha

Tabitha WinHost HBIC

In my understanding, to make this work I should:
    - create three subdirectories of my website root directory, named respectively production, test and demo;
    - create three application starting points, one per each of the subdirectories;
    - deploy my application files in each of the subdirectories;
    - create three SQL Server databases and configure each application instance's connection string to one of them.

That is correct.

Furthermore, I would like to maintain just one membership database; so, would it be possible to manage the same ASPNETDB.MDF for all of the three instances? I think that the three application instances would have the same "LocalSqlServer" connection string, but not sure this would be correct.

What type of database is your ASPNETDB.MDF? Is it a SQL Express database? We don't support SQL Express. We support SQL CE, though: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/editions/2012-editions/compact.aspx

I think multiple applications should be able to access it, but I don't know for sure.

3. Hi Tabitha, thanks for your feedback.
    Indeed, ASPNETDB.MDF is the name of my membership database in my local development environment (and yes, it is a SQL Express database). In the hosting environment I would manage it as a regular SQL Server file, just like the user data database.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha WinHost HBIC

If it's SQL Express, we don't support that. You'd need to upgrade to a full SQL database.