1. Has anyone deployed a SignalR app to Winhost? I just tried and I am getting a
    "The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."

The app works as expected on my development workstation

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You might want to try enabling Detailed Errors to get a more descriptive error that is being thrown:

1) Log into your site using IIS7 Manager by following the instructions in this Knowledge Base article:

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

2) Double click on the Error Pages module to open it.
    3) On the right hand side, click on Edit Feature Settings...
    4) Check Detailed errors and click on OK.

Michael likes this.
  3. Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I googled on bing for a bit and this is what I found:
    http://forums.asp.net/t/1449734.aspx/1?That+assembly+does+not+allow+partially+trusted+callers
    Yes, most host servers use Medium trust level to restrict which resource types your application can access and which privileged operations it can perform for security.

Can you confirm that you CANT use SingalR on Winhost? Has anyone done it?

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Michael likes this.
  5. I added
    [assembly: AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers(PartialTrustVisibilityLevel = PartialTrustVisibilityLevel.VisibleToAllHosts)]
    [assembly: SecurityRules(SecurityRuleSet.Level1)]

to the AssemblyInfo file. I then got
    Method not found: 'System.Version System.Web.HttpRuntime.get_IISVersion()

And there is 1 mention on google/bing about this:
    https://twitter.com/kobelb

Brandon Kobel‏@kobelb4 Aug
    @PathToAlbion Did you ever fix the SignaR's error that says: Method not found: 'System.Version System.Web.HttpRuntime.get_IISVersion

Daniel Clegg‏@PathToAlbion5 Aug
    @kobelb yep, you need to install latest version of .net 4.5 rc

So Winhost does not support SignalR right now. Do you have an ETA when you will be on 4.5?

6. rum

rum Winhost Staff

ASP.NET Framework 4.5 is avalable on Windows 2012 / IIS 8 platform only. We offer free migration to IIS 8 platform. Please contact technical support department to request migration.

Michael likes this.
  7. Oh Nice!

Thanks!

8. So I upgraded the IIS8 and now when I browse to the site, I am seeing the directory, as expected. To recap, you need to have this as your web.config:
    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <trust level="Full" />
    <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5" />
    <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

And add this to your assemblyInfo:
    [assembly: AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers(PartialTrustVisibilityLevel = PartialTrustVisibilityLevel.VisibleToAllHosts)]
    [assembly: SecurityRules(SecurityRuleSet.Level1)]

I am now getting a 404 from my client trying to call the service, but at least the SignalR enabled app deployed and seems to be running...

9. When you negotiate to the site hosting the SignalR app, I am getting this:

HTTP Error 404.7 - Not Found
    The request filtering module is configured to deny the file extension.

This is just an empty ASP.NET web application with 1 class and 1 route mapped in the application startup. Any ideas?

10. I figured out the problem - I made an error with the routing. Once I set the routing paths correctly, it resolved.

Thanks

Michael likes this.
  11. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Cool glad you resolved your problem :)

12. Thanks for detailing your journey. I've just published a site using SignalR and am at step 1!

13. Jamie, thanks for your tips. I've got my one up!

patrickcasey likes this.