Sending email via gmail but changing from address

Discussion in 'Email' started by micom, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone,

As I'm sure you are aware, sending via smtp.gmail.com allows the sending of email from the address used to authenticate with the smtp server.

If I wish to send mail and have the correct reply address;
    i.e. client feedback form fill's in information and provides email address. The from address ideally should be the clients email address.
    So when the form info is received in the Gmail Inbox. User can hit reply and send response directly to client. (Currently reply address is the general website address, thus emailing themselves back)

However as the email is authenticated via gmail smtp the from address is fixed as [email protected] internal domain.

What is the best way to avoid this issue. Anyone? Is there a way to involve the Winhost smtp?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

What error messages to get when using the Gmail's SMTP service if any?

Have you tried using our SMTP service to send mail? Please read our knowledge base article on how to send email in ASP.NET.

Notice in our example in our knowledge base article that you also need to authenticate against the SMTP service on our mail server. But, you should be able to change the From field.

I believe Gmail has changed their policy regarding changing the from field but I could be wrong about this. I think the Gmail SMTP service will not allow this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015