Secure POP/IMAP/SMTP email

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gunsh, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Ok, I didn't post this in "Suggestions" forum because I already received a big NO from support but I still can't leave this alone. So I am posting here to waste everybody's time and bandwidth and maybe someone with some spare time could explain in technical terms why this is impossible.

I would take even self signed certificate as long as email is communicated over an encrypted connection but support says it is almost impossible to secure email on a shared host. I am really puzzled why this is soooo hard. I have a Linux server and I can do this there without any problem.

If I had this feature (and this and also this) I would be 100% satisfied with Winhost. Without them my satisfaction is around 95%. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Well, if you are on a shared hosting with a lot of different domain names to host (@domain1.com, @domain2.com, @domain3.com...) then it is much more difficult then with an email server with only one email domain name (@myonlydomainname.com)...

3. I totally agree that managing one is a whole lot easer than managing XYZ... marbles, dollars, users or even domains :)

But there is a difference between "much more difficult" and "impossible". So if there is a glimmer of hope for this feature I would like to call on fellow users to vote for it. Maybe one day with enough votes "difficult" will become "a feature". ;)

4. Ray

Ray

I'll bring it up to our management but obviously we will have to balance operational cost with afforability pricing. I'm sure if we invest enough money in it we can achieve it but what if it requires increasing the hosting price from $4.95 a month to $20 a month? How many customers would want that? And I'm sure there are some people out there who would love to have a deal where you get more for cheaper price but in real world business that is really unrealistic.