Schema creation / user assignment?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by jsauve, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I'd like to be able to use another schema within my DB besides "dbo". I've created a schema called "hbm". I created for tables with relationships within this schema. I tried to model the user-to-schema setup to be similar to the "dbo" schema: My Winhost-assigned db login is assigned to the user "dbo". The user "dbo" is assigned as the owner of the schema "dbo".

So, I tried to make a new user called "hbm" and assign the my Winhost db login to that user, but apparently two users cannot be tied to the same login.

I have very limited MSSQL management experience. At work , we have DB folks that do all of that stuff for me, all I have to do is develop! ;)

Any help? Maybe it's just not possible to us schemas and I should use a different database instead?

Thanks in advance.

- Joe

2. Ray

Ray

You will not be able to create additional db users because each database can only have one db user. But you should be able to create a new database schema if you need to. Log into your SSMS, and then go to the Database/Security/Schemas. Create a new schema and when it asks you to assign it to an owner type dbo.

3. Yep, you were right. Figured it out on my own. I was just being kind stupid when I posted that. Too many hours awake. :p