Running ASP Classic Website

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Michelle, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and to Winhost. I actually haven't yet created a Winhost account. I am currently working on an ASP classic website that uses a SQL Server database.

I currently have a godaddy account and attempted to run it on my godaddy site. It doesn't work because it throws an Internal Server Error (500) because of using server side includes. After digging some more and trying a number of things, I am still unable to get my ASP Classic website to run on godaddy. The customer support representative of godaddy recommended I try Winhost.

Before I sign up for a Winhost account and set up a website here, I just need some help.

1. Can I create an ASP Classic website using a Winhost account?

2. Can I hook it up to a SQL Server database?

3. Is a Winhost account ready made for an ASP Classic website, or will I have to do some configuration or installation of software in order to get my ASP Classic website running? I need to be able to use server side includes with .asp pages.

4. Is SQL Server ready made for me to use along with my ASP classic website, or will I need to do some configuration or installation of software to use SQL Server?

5. How do I go about uploading databases, or connecting to SQL Server through Winhost?

6. Is there a tech support phone number I can call?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, it's ready, but it does depend on the components your application uses. You should be able to use SSI without any problem.

4. Yes. You just need to create the database through the Control Panel and upload any backups you have to restore the data. You'll also need to update the connection string in your application.

5. You can upload files using any FTP client. You can connect to your database using SQL Server Management Studio.

6. No. I'm afraid our support is done primarily through email.

Michael likes this.
  3. Thank you. What version of IIS are you running?

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

IIS 7.5 and 8.0.

Michael likes this.