Root FTP web site location

Discussion in 'FTP' started by mangia, Nov 1, 2009.

1. I'm in the process of moving my site off Host Department (what a nightmare) to Winhost. So far things look pretty good.

I am using Vista's Windows Explorer to FTP my web site files onto Winhost.

The primary ftp.xxxxxx.com contains the ASP.NET /aspnet_client files and the secondary ftp://[email protected]/ apprears to be an empty folder location. I thought both primary and secondary FTP sites would direct to the same file location, but does not.

Where is the root folder for my site? (i.e. which FTP should I use?)

Also, I created a new 'Application Starting Point' but I don't see that folder in either primary or secondary FTP site. Feel like I am missing something basic... can anyone please advise?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. That does appear to be pretty odd, as both URLs actually basically just pointing to the same root. I'd probably open a ticket to support for this issue, so you can provide them with the URL/user/pass combination that you're using. If you're using an FTP client like Filezilla, make sure you include your full FTP logs.

Both issues might be related, but it seems like the quickest way to solve this is by contacting support.

3. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

/aspnet_client folder is no longer needed since asp.net 2.0. With asp.net 1.0 / 1.1, this folder stored the client side javascript that handles client side validation for asp.net web form.

4. I am having strange behaviour too

I am having a similar experience. When I connect using FileZilla, initially I got the contents I expect. But after trying to move some files around, the folder structure I expect disappears, and all I can see in root is aspnet_client.

Also when I try to upload files using FileZilla I get the following:
    Status: Starting upload of C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Temp1\Web.config
    Command: CWD /
    Response: 250 CWD command successful.
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to I.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (96,31,35,41,19,223).
    Command: STOR Web.config
    Response: 550 Access is denied.
    Error: Critical file transfer error
    Error: Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted

5. This fixed the error uploading:
    For FileZilla it shoudl be Edit/Settings/FTP/Passive Mode. Click on the bubble 'Fall back to active mode'.

6. Ray

Ray

Some FTP clients may not have the setting. They either have a setting to use one or the other. For FTP problems it is always best to try and disable your firewall and bypass the router and connect directly to the Internet. This is not to say that you cannot use a Firewall to connect with FTP, but it gives a good starting point on what to troubleshoot when it comes to FTP problems.