root folder and Visual Studio Publish Web Site

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by JackWebb, Feb 3, 2010.

1. I published my Visual Studio 2008 Website and all is fine, but I have a question. I have a DLL in my solution that got published in the process, but I can't see it anywhere while using FTP. Where did it get published? I'm guessing it went to the root, but now I don't know how to view the root folder contents, i.e. E:\Web\myFTPUsername\

Does anyone know how I can view the root folder contents?

The long and short of this relates to being able to update the DLL without re-Publishing the entire site.

2. Ray

Ray

By default your account is set as the root. If you log into your FTP using ftp.mydomain.com, (bear in mind mydomain.com is an example) then you are at your root. In most cases, dll files will be placed in the folder Bin or App_code. Look at your local computer and find where the DLL file exists. It should be the same relative location on our server.

3. Thank You

Yes Sir, that was it! I can see my DLL now that I know where it went!

So how do I mark your reply as the resolution?

4. Ray

Ray

No need. These threads will basically remain active and open for others to search and read. Hopefully it will help others out. But as for me, if I have a question, I'll go ahead and just post it. Sometimes the search feature on this forum can be improved.