restriction on filetypes ?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Alex Kintner, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Is there a restriction on filetypes that are allowed to be downloaded from a WinHost web domain?
    I have a file with an odd filetype. When I make a web page hyperlink to it, I expect when the user clicks on it, they will see the standard browser download (Open with... / Save File...) popup dialog. Instead, a server error happens.

The filetype is ".smplt". An application specific filetype.

2. Michael, thanks for the quick reply.
    I'm on a Shared hosting server (not dedicated server). Is it going to allow me to set this setting?

3. Update: For anyone that cares. I found a simpler approach than installing IIS.

Probably only people used to editing a web.config file should consider this.

I edited the web.config file in the root directory of my domain to include a "staticContent" xml tag (inside the system.webServer) tag.
    The mimeType="application/octet-stream" attribute tells IIS to treat the filetype as binary.

Example:

<system.webServer>
    <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".smplt" mimeType="application/octet-stream" />
    </staticContent>
    </system.webServer>

Clicking on a web link to this filetype now pops up the Download - Save-As dialog.

4. Alex, sorry, I should have mentioned that. A lot of things the IIS Manager does it does by writing web.config entries. So that's definitely a more direct route. I'm glad you got the extension working, and thanks for posting the follow up.

And to answer your first question, yes, IIS Manager can be used on any Winhost site.

Elshadriel likes this.