restore .bak file

Discussion in 'Databases' started by demi, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hello all !!!

I am trying to transfer my ASP website but I find difficulties in restoring the .bak file of the MS SQL database, due to security reasons.

Does Winhost support restoring a database from a .bak file that is exported from another host?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

3. You do not have to have SA rights to restore a DB backup. Every other hoster I can think of allows you to do this, and we allow it internally by granting specific rights to users to specific DB's.

If you only support backing up a database via the VS tools, and don't allow the ability to upload data and structure, you will find that you will loose a lot of customers, or not get them in the first place.

Bob

4. Ray

Ray

What is the error message you are getting when you run Visual Studio? What process of the script are you ing? Are you having problems running the script against your local databse or are you having problems running the script against our server to restore the database to our SQL server?

5. The "Copy Database Wizard" is also available in SQL Management Studio, and you can move data and structure using that tool.

6. Hi

I am trying to restore a db from another website.
    Please can someone explain how I do this as there is.
    1. No restore facility (that i could find)
    2. and the "Copy Database Wizard" in SQL Management Studio throws and error (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Thank you.

7. Ray

Ray