Report Viewer Problem

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Bobter, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Hi,

I'm having a problem viewing reports when my project has been uploading to my account.

When I browse to view the report I'm gettin a 404 - Not found error. Its either a problem with the file path im using or the security settings on the .rdlc file/folder.

The file path is

<localreport reportpath="Pages\Reports\ByClient.rdlc">

and the .rdlc is at that location - does anyone have any ideas?

Further details of the error suggest the following -

* The directory or file specified does not exist on the Web server.
    * The URL contains a typographical error.
    * A custom filter or module, such as URLScan, restricts access to the file.

2. Ray

Ray

Can you give us a clear screenshot of the complete error message your browser is displaying. A 404 error message is pretty cut and dry. I suspect that you do have the path incorrectly.

3. I'd post a screen shot but I dont want to host it on this account. You should allow people to attach stuff to these posts. Maybe you do and i havent found it.

Anyway

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found
    The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification MapRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070002

* The directory or file specified does not exist on the Web server.
    * The URL contains a typographical error.
    * A custom filter or module, such as URLScan, restricts access to the file.

Here is the physical path to the report -

E:\Web\Account\folder\folder\folder\ByUser.rdlc

and here is what I have in my code behind for the report viewer -

<rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana"
    Font-Size="8pt" Height="800px" Width="100%" Visible="False">
    <LocalReport ReportPath="E:\Web\Account\folder\folder\folder\ByUser.rdlc">
    <DataSources>
    <rsweb:ReportDataSource DataSourceId="ObjectDataSource1"
    Name="ReportDS_UserReport" />
    </DataSources>
    </LocalReport>
    </rsweb:ReportViewer>

So either I've got the folder path wrong or I haven't put it in the code behind correctly or in the wrong place or something else is up.

Any ideas?

4. Ray

Ray

The path appears to be correct but the error message can also mean that some of the components to run Report Viewer are missing. Did you load all the necessary files in your applications Bin directory? Plus also check what ever templates or master file your aspx page maybe calling on.

5. Hi,

I have included the reportviewer dll in my bin folder and in my web config. I spose i'll create a simple one page site and see if i can get that report to work.

6. fixed it

I had to do this to get it to work -

Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and select your Web
    application.
    Under IIS area, double-click on Handler Mappings icon.
    At the Action pane on your right, click on Add Managed Handler.
    At the Add Managed Handler dialog, enter the following:
    Request path: Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd
    Type: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler
    Name: Reserved-ReportViewerWebControl-axd
    Click OK.

7. Ray

Ray

Thanks for the post. Out of curiosity what PIPE line are you using? Is it Classic or Integrated?

8. Sorry but I dont even know what PIPE is! Where can i check?

9. Ray

Ray

Log into your hosting control panel. In the home page you will see 4 tabs. Click on the tab labeled Sites. This will take you to the site page and you should see your domain name. If you look to the left you will see a link labeled Manage. Click on that and it will take you to the Site Info Manager. Click on the button that is marked as "Integrated or Classic Mode". It should be next to the button (or some people would call it icon) "FTP Users". Once you clicked on "Integrated or Classic Mode" you will see Application Pool Pipeline Mode: On the drop down box you can choose either Integrated or Classic. What is it currently using?

10. Its using Integrated.

11. Ray

Ray

OK thanks for checking. Normally something like this happens in Classic mode. I guess I learned something new. This can also happen in Integrated mode and the proper handler still needs to be defined.

12. You can. Here is the FAQ page.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015