Renewing my site - A question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jaa17, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi,

I want to renew my website in mid-February (for the start of March).

I would like to buy another year.

However, I read that if you have a longer period for your domain name that is looked on more favourably by search engines.

To lessen the fiduciary-hit, is it possible to buy the domain name for 2 years and the bandwidth-stuff for 1 year?

Or do you have to buy the two years together?

Jon

2. It's not the length of current registration that is taken into account, it's the age of the domain. It doesn't matter how long the registration period is. So a domain registered in 1995 is going to carry more weight than one registered six months ago. In terms of search engine rankings though, that is a tiny piece of the puzzle, so the "penalty" for a new domain is not really that big a factor.

To answer your question, the domain name can be registered for multiple years without committing to multiple years of hosting. The two are separate.

3. Thanks Hank for that info.

I am starting to eek forward in search engines on some of the typical searches for my site. I am on google-page 2 on some now. If only I could get to that elusive page 1. :)

BTW - This has been my first year ever having a website. Thanks for all the help to you and your colleges for making what was a very daunting prospect into something very straight forward.

4. Hey, I'm glad we could help.