Registered Domain Name Needed?

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest JWL, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Guest JWL

Guest JWL Guest

For my purposes, I do NOT need a "registered domain name" - a simple IP address would be just fine. Perhaps I am just naive to think so... Am I???

Basically I want to use the web site to "show and tell" ideas on how various web pages should look and work - NOT the "finished product" that a client would use, but just a "sandbox site" where my business partners and I can demonstrate web page ideas.

IF I can put up a site on your platform WITHOUT getting / using a "registered domain name", that would be great. IF SO, would you assign an IP address that I could then use in the URL text box on my browser to see the site?

Regards, JWL

2. You can open an account without a domain name. You can't, however, view a site by IP (IPs are shared by hundreds of sites on a shared server), but you can view it using an alternate URL that we provide.

3. Guest JWL

Guest JWL Guest

What might the 'Alternate URL' look like?

Just to make sure I know what I'm getting into... what might such an 'alternate URL' look like? ... i.e. an example of what I might have to use for the URL.

4. Guest JWL

Guest JWL Guest

Alternate URLs - format/syntax

Assuming I get a "Max" account (as I need SQL Server and ASP.NET capabilities), WITHOUT a "registered domain name", I understand that "you" (i.e. Winhost) will provide me with an "alternate URL" to use to access the site.

I'm 99% sure I get the idea BUT a simple example of what the "alternate URL" might look like would nail it and thereby avoiding making a bad decision to commit to an account with "Winhost". I can guess that the "alternate URL" might be something like "http://jwl.Winhost.com" BUT I'm only guessing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. It's in this format:
    Where domainxy is the first 8 characters of the domain entered when creating the site.

That format is not ideal for a developer to use, since it includes our domain. A better solution might be to register a domain name that reflects your company/product and demo new sites from subdirectories or subdomains:
    Every plan would provide those, not just Max or Ultimate.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015