Redirect domain

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by mchrastecky, Aug 22, 2017.

1. I need to redirect my domain to another website using DNS, how long after it is set will the change take effect, and will I need to look for confirmation emails?

2. Is your goal to point the domain to another host, or just to a website outside of Winhost (keeping email, etc. here)?

If your domain was registered through Winhost and you want to point it to a new host, log in to the support portal and open up a ticket and tell them you need to change your domain's name servers. If the domain is not registered through Winhost you would make that change at the domain registrar.

If you're pointing the domain to another site but keeping other services here, you'd do the redirect with an A record, which you can set up yourself in Control Panel > Domains > DNS > Manage.

You'll see two entries under "Manage A Records," one for the domain, and one for the domain with www. You would change the IP address in both of those to point to the IP address of a site outside Winhost.

Be careful when editing any DNS record. Mistakes in there can take your site and email down.

DNS records usually update within an hour, but it can take a few hours (or longer) for them to propagate everywhere. (There are ways to reduce that propagation time, but I would only recommend them to someone who has experience with DNS records and is comfortable making multiple changes.)

3. Is there a way to redirect to a specific URL rather than an IP?

I need to redirect my website to a website on a shared hosting server. Changing the IP address will not work!!

How do I do this?

4. To redirect to a shared hosting account at another host you have to change the name servers for the domain.