Publishing SQL 2008 database to the WinHost SQL 2008 Server

Discussion in 'Databases' started by InApp, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am trying to publish my database to the server at win host.I have already created a db for this purpose at Winhost.

I followed the steps as said which was available at the knowledge base.

I tried to connect to the server using the Sql server 2008 management studio.

1. Open your database in SQL Server Management Studio 2008. - this worked
    2. Click File/Open/File and navigate to the SQL script you just created from your SQL Server. - this also worked
    3. Type the SQL database name provided for you in Control Panel under Site Info Manager/MS SQL 2008/Manage.- gave the sql dataserver name available at the control panel.
    4. Choose SQL Server Authentication in the "Authentication" drop down box.
    5. Input your database login and password from Control Panel (see #3). - i have the credentials , but i could not connect to the server. why? The message was TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to xx.Winhost.com .

------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

I tried to upload the bak file and tried restoring from the restore tool available at control panel. But that too failed.

Can anyone help in solving this?

Thanks
    InApp

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

For your SQL Server Management Studio issue, it sounds like you may have antivirus/firewall software blocking the connection. You can try disabling it to see if that will correct the problem.

For your restore failing, you can open up a support ticket to have our staff check what the problem may be.

3. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Are you really trying to connect to "xx.Winhost.com" in your settings? If so that is not the correct address to our SQL servers. Look in your SQL Manager in the control panel HERE to find the real SQL server address. It should look something like the following:

s08.Winhost.com

Or

s01.Winhost.com

Or

s02.Winhost.com

Depending on what SQL database server you are hosted on. Hope this helps :)