Proper usage of DNS record

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Kaihatsusha, Nov 2, 2009.

1. hi!

thank you for helping. I'm really satisfied the way you guys provide support.

anyway, my question is about this.

I wanted to add this to my website.

whenever I do

somewords.mydomain.com

i want it to go to a certain URL , for example...

it could be, the same as

www.mydomain.com/Section

i'm not sure if this is CNAME, TXT or something.

I already added an entry, and I can see on DNS manager that I've added

somewords.mydomain.com

but if I try to access it, it points to the root, which is the default.

I tried the Create CNAME record for mydomain.com, but it always give me invalid error validation on the destination part.

i tried to enter some ip address, and a slash to specify the section, still no good.

thank you. I hope you can help me.
    I'm having a hard time pointing this subdomain to a specific section in my site or a specific application in Winhost server.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Unfortuantely this is how a shared Windows 2008/IIS 7 works. Any subdomain that you create will automatically point to the root. But there is a module within IIS 7 manager that can help you perform redirects and if you want to clean up the URL it will also do a URL rewrite.

First try going to this KB article so you can get some instructions on how to setup IIS 7 Manager to connect to our server.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

Once you're connected navigate to the module labeled "URL Rewrite". This will help you create and define the rules to achieve a subdomain redirect and if you want, a URL rewrite to the correct folder/file on your root.

Now, I'm not going say this is easy to use and it is cut and dry. Depending on how elaborate you want the Redirect and Rewrite rule to be will depend on the level of complexity of setting up the URL Rewrite.

You may want to read up this link to get some first hand knowledge on how this module works and how to define simple rules.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/460/using-url-rewrite-module/

If anything and you're stuck on a step, just post it on this forum and we'll do our best to help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. thank you. I already know how to write rules using URL rewrite module. I just thought it is something that can be done on the web app setting. I'll try it first and see then I'll post again. Thank you.

4. its not how godaddy works, as much as it pains me to say so. Godaddy makes each subdomain look like its own site and

5. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You can do the same thing like godaddy by using the redirect. That's how they do it too, but they make you log into their control panel so they can push ads to you.

6. curtis, you cut him off in mid-sentence! How did you do that? ;)

But for future reference, we know how GoDaddy works. But the thing is, GoDaddy's Windows hosting sucks really bad.

You don't have to take my word for that, I know I am biased. Look around, there are plenty of sites and blogs that detail their suckage. We get dissatisfied GoDaddy users signing up with us every day, and they tell us how much better they feel Winhost is.

So comparing us to GoDaddy isn't fair to GoDaddy. We're better.

---

FWIW - I am a big GoDaddy customer, by the way. They get a lot of my money every year. But it goes to domain registration, not hosting.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015