Problems accessing db from another provider

Discussion in 'Databases' started by PawtucDave, Oct 30, 2011.

1. I'm trying to move several webs to Winhost from another company with very bad service...

I thought I'd start by just loading the web to Winhost leaving my 'SqlServer 2008 R2' database on the original host.

Here is a config.sys connectionStrings entry;

Code:
    <add name="ApplicationServices" connectionString="Server=75.126.250.163,25000;Database=DB2323_aaaCert;Uid=DB2323_aaaCertDBUser;Password=xxxxxxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    Since I don't want to change my DNS pointers (yet) I'm accessing it by;
    http://lpiproco.w01.Winhost.com/

I'm getting this error;

Server Error in '/' Application.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I know the existing server is configured to allow remote connections because I can connect using Management Studio from my laptop, and I also have some batch jobs that use it with no problem.

Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

SQL Server normally connects on port 1433. Unless your other hosting company has configured port 25000 to allow you to connect, you won't be able to access it. The error 26 however usually means you're trying to connect to the server name instance. Check your application (not just the connection string in the web.config file) to make sure you are referencing the connection properly.

3. They do allow 25000. You were correct -I had a problem referencing the connection in my application. I'm all set now!

Thanks!

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Great! Glad I could help out. :)