problem with UTF-8 character set

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by fred, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Hi
    I designed a simple site using visual studio 2005 , on the site I used Arabic code, and it work fine on the local host, but when I test my site on Winhost Server, the Arabic character showing in 7-bit mode unreadable. But the data Arabic characters witch comes from the database readable work fine.

I add the following <meta> tag in the header:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1256" />

Also I put this in the Web.config:

<system.web>
    <globalization responseEncoding="utf-8" />
    </system.web>

but it didn't work.

I'm wondering if your server support UTF-8 and Arabic code .

Your response to this problem is appreciated!!!

Best regards
    Farid Haddadin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

If I am not mistaken, UTF-8 support does not require additional setting on the server.

3. Hi,,
    If the problem not from the server setting concerning the UTF-8 , can any one help me why the Arabic characters not readable.

4. Ray

Ray

Are you pulling any of the data from a SQL database. That also will affect the fonts. Make sure you are storing and calling on the data as nvarchar

5. I have no problem with the data witch I'm pulling from the database, i used nvarchar, but the problem is when I use Arabic character in HTML tags such as <p> عربي </p><h1> ...

6. Ray

Ray

You cannot use Arabic characters in the html tag. Our server is US/English base and cannot directly read Arabic characters. The characters itself will have to typed in english with the web page, but when displayed on the browser, the browser will translate it to the correct font.

7. thanks all, my problem was resolved by placing the following <meta> tag:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-utf-8" />
    also in the <html> tag lang="ar-eg"

8. Thanks for posting the follow-up.