Problem sending email to external SMTP from Domain Pointer site

Discussion in 'Email' started by Marcus, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I think I'm trying to do something very simple, but I'm not great at all this DNS configuration, so maybe somebody can tell me where I've gone wrong.

I have a primary site (let's say primaryDomain.com) hosted here at Winhost. I use Winhost's email hosting and use SmarterMail email client. I have a "Contact Us" page on my site that sends inquiries there. Works great!

But then I needed to set up a Domain Pointer for a second domain (let's say secondaryDomain.com). Requests to that domain are forwarded to a separate "Contact Us" page on the pointer site. Submitting the form on that page should send inquiries to an email address ([email protected]) on an SMTP server hosted elsewhere. I turned on "Email Aliasing" for secondaryDomain, and edited the A record/MX record in DNS Manager.

And this seems to be working as [email protected] is sending and receiving regular emails from the outside world. However, all emails I send thru my SMTP (mail.primaryDomain.com) to secondaryDomain's mail server (mail.global.secondarySMTP.com) are NOT getting thru. The "Contact Us" form at www.secondaryDomain.com is using the mail.primaryDomain.com SMTP (with authentication) to send the emails, and if I specify any email address that is NOT a secondaryDomain.com address it gets thru fine. Anything to secondaryDomain.com fails went sent thru my mail.primaryDomain.com SMTP. Even emails sent to to secondaryDomain.com inboxes thru my SmarterMail client are failing.

Error message:

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):
    Failed Recipient: [email protected]
    Reason: The recipient does not exist

Sorry for the long ramble. Here are some screen shots from my Control Panel to help illustrate my setup (real names and addresses have been changed)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015

2. The mail service for pointer domains is alias-only, so you cannot set up a separate address on pointer.com. Any pointer.com addresses have to point to an email address on the primary domain name. [email protected] will not work unless [email protected] exists.

Note that if the same message is sent to [email protected] and [email protected] you will receive two copies of the message in the [email protected] mailbox.
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a546/domain-pointer-email-aliases.aspx

This means the email pointer has no physical inbox and separate SMTP server to relay the message out; it will always use the primary domain SMTP server.

If you want to send the message out from second domain (pointer) as that pointer domain address simply change the 'from' field in the code and make sure you authenticate as SMTP user from the primary domain e.g
    C#

mail.From = new MailAddress ("[email protected]");

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient("use the actual mail server(M01/2/3) assigned to your account");

NetworkCredential Credentials = new NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "password");

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a650/how-to-send-email-in-aspnet.aspx

3. Thank you Allegro13. I did as you suggested. I set up an [email protected] email and set it to forward to [email protected]. Now now I am not getting the "recipient does not exist" error, but emails to [email protected] are not being received when sent thru my SMTP.

If I don't have forwarding set up would it forward automatically?

I'm still a little confused about how to get this domain-ponter email stuff sorted out.

4. OK,

[email protected] does have an inbox - just not at Winhost. Not at mail.primary.com. secondary.com has its own SMTP server hosted elsewhere (Pls refer to the picture in the original post). The pointer site is just a "contact us" form that needs to generate an email to [email protected], but since establishing the domain as a pointer domain I've noticed that any emails to secondary.com inboxes (including emails created in the SmarterMail client) are not being delivered to secondary.com inboxes.

This must be because I'm routing them through mail.primary.com. Perhaps the solution for the contact us form on the pointer is to use the secondary.com SMTP and verification. I suppose that might at least get emails sent to the right secondary.com inboxes, but it still would not fix the problem of sending email using my SmarterMail email client.

I thought that if I set up a [email protected] in my SmarterMail that they would be automatically forwarded to [email protected]. No?